Our laboratory develops and uses genetic and genomic approaches to study host-malaria parasite interaction and molecular mechanisms of the interaction using the rodent malaria parasite Plasmodium yoelii as a model. We have characterized large numbers of microsatellites and single nucleotide polymorphisms (SNPs) from several P. yoelii parasites and performed various genetic crosses to identify parasite genes linked to parasite development, virulence, and drug resistance. We are studying host immune signaling pathways in response to parasite infections, focusing on innate signaling and regulation of type I interferon production and inflammatory responses after malaria infection.
We are also interested in screening and development of new antimalarial drugs, particularly compounds that can block malaria transmission.
Dr. Su received his Ph.D. in parasitology from the University of Georgia in 1990. He joined the NIAID Laboratory of Parasitic Diseases in 1992 and became an investigator in the Laboratory of Malaria and Vector Research in 2001 and a senior investigator in 2006.
- Wu J, Xia L, Yao X, Yu X, Tumas KC, Sun W, Cheng Y, He X, Peng YC, Singh BK, Zhang C, Qi CF, Bolland S, Best SM, Gowda C, Huang R, Myers TG, Long CA, Wang RF, Su XZ. The E3 ubiquitin ligase MARCH1 regulates antimalaria immunity through interferon signaling and T cell activation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2020;117(28):16567-16578.
- Peng YC, Qi Y, Zhang C, Yao X, Wu J, Pattaradilokrat S, Xia L, Tumas KC, He X, Ishizaki T, Qi CF, Holder AA, Myers TG, Long CA, Kaneko O, Li J, Su XZ. Plasmodium yoelii Erythrocyte-Binding-like Protein Modulates Host Cell Membrane Structure, Immunity, and Disease Severity. mBio. 2020;11(1).
- Nair SC, Xu R, Pattaradilokrat S, Wu J, Qi Y, Zilversmit M, Ganesan S, Nagarajan V, Eastman RT, Orandle MS, Tan JC, Myers TG, Liu S, Long CA, Li J, Su XZ. A Plasmodium yoelii HECT-like E3 ubiquitin ligase regulates parasite growth and virulence. Nat Commun. 2017;8(1):223.
- Wu J, Cai B, Sun W, Huang R, Liu X, Lin M, Pattaradilokrat S, Martin S, Qi Y, Nair SC, Bolland S, Cohen JI, Austin CP, Long CA, Myers TG, Wang RF, Su XZ. Genome-wide Analysis of Host-Plasmodium yoelii Interactions Reveals Regulators of the Type I Interferon Response. Cell Rep. 2015;12(4):661-72.
- Yuan J, Cheng KC, Johnson RL, Huang R, Pattaradilokrat S, Liu A, Guha R, Fidock DA, Inglese J, Wellems TE, Austin CP, Su XZ. Chemical genomic profiling for antimalarial therapies, response signatures, and molecular targets. Science. 2011;333(6043):724-9.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
Genetics and Genomics
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
This page was last updated on Monday, August 15, 2022