Wanjun Chen, M.D.
Oral and Pharyngeal Cancer Branch/Mucosal Immunology Section
Building 30, Room 304
30 Convent Drive
Bethesda, MD 20892
We are elucidating mechanisms of TGF-beta regulation of T-cell immunity and tolerance, and manipulating T-cell immunity versus tolerance in animal models to understand the pathogenesis of autoimmunity and inflammation, cancer and infectious diseases and to develop potential therapies for relevant human diseases, with special attention to NIDCR mission relevant diseases, such as Sjögren's syndrome, periodontal diseases, and oral and head and neck cancers.
Honors and Awards
- Invited Speaker, NIH Director's Seminar Series , 2009, http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=8127
- The Wang Ying-Lai Memorial Lecture, Annual Meeting of The Texas Chapter of Society of Chinese Bioscientists in America ( SCBA), Houston, Texas, 2011, http://xray.utmb.edu/bmb/2012_WYL_Symposium.pdf
- Co-organizer and co-chair, Keystone Symposium, TGF-beta in Immune Responses: From Bench to Bedside, Snowbird, Utah, 2011, http://www.keystonesymposia.org/11A2
- M.D., Medicine, Qingdao University Medical School, Qingdao, China, 1984
- M.S., Microbiology and Immunology, Shandong University Medical School and Shandong Academy of Medical Sciences, Jinan, China, 1987
- Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Immunology, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 1993-1996
Honors and Awards
- Invited Speaker, NIH Director's Seminar Series , 2009, http://videocast.nih.gov/pastevents.asp?c=25
- The Wang Ying-Lai Memorial Lecture, Annual Meeting of The Texas Chapter of Society of Chinese Bioscientists in America ( SCBA), Houston, Texas, 2011
- Co-organizer and co-chair, Keystone Symposium, TGF-beta in Immune Responses: From Bench to Bedside, Snowbird, Utah, 2011, (http://www.keystonesymposia.org/meetings/viewMeetings.cfm?MeetingID=1104)
Chen W, Jin W, Hardegen N, Lei KJ, Li L, Marinos N, McGrady G, Wahl SM. Conversion of peripheral CD4+CD25- naive T cells to CD4+CD25+ regulatory T cells by TGF-beta induction of transcription factor Foxp3. J Exp Med. 2003;198(12):1875-86.
Liu Y, Zhang P, Li J, Kulkarni AB, Perruche S, Chen W. A critical function for TGF-beta signaling in the development of natural CD4+CD25+Foxp3+ regulatory T cells. Nat Immunol. 2008;9(6):632-40.
Perruche S, Zhang P, Liu Y, Saas P, Bluestone JA, Chen W. CD3-specific antibody-induced immune tolerance involves transforming growth factor-beta from phagocytes digesting apoptotic T cells. Nat Med. 2008;14(5):528-35.
Zhang D, Chia C, Jiao X, Jin W, Kasagi S, Wu R, Konkel JE, Nakatsukasa H, Zanvit P, Goldberg N, Chen Q, Sun L, Chen ZJ, Chen W. D-mannose induces regulatory T cells and suppresses immunopathology. Nat Med. 2017.
Konkel JE, Zhang D, Zanvit P, Chia C, Zangarle-Murray T, Jin W, Wang S, Chen W. Transforming Growth Factor-β Signaling in Regulatory T Cells Controls T Helper-17 Cells and Tissue-Specific Immune Responses. Immunity. 2017;46(4):660-674.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
This page was last updated on February 20th, 2018