She studies brain-behavior associations in health and disease and is currently the principal investigator of the brain imaging component of the Baltimore Longitudinal Study of Aging (BLSA). This longitudinal neuroimaging study focuses on early structural and physiological brain changes that may be predictors of memory and cognitive change in older individuals. Through this study and others in the BLSA, she has also been examining the hormonal modulation of age-associated cognitive and brain changes. Based on findings from these studies, she initiated the Women's Health Initiative Study of Cognitive Aging (WHISCA), an ancillary study to the Women's Health Initiative Memory Study (WHIMS) and the WHI randomized trials of the effects of hormone therapy.
Dr. Resnick received her Ph.D. in Differential Psychology and Behavioral Genetics from the University of Minnesota and completed a postdoctoral fellowship in Neuropsychology and Neuroimaging at the University of Pennsylvania. She was Research Assistant Professor of Psychology in Psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania prior to joining the Laboratory of Personality and Cognition (Now the Laboratory of Behavioral Neuroscience), NIA in 1992.
- Bilgel M, Wong DF, Moghekar AR, Ferrucci L, Resnick SM, Alzheimer’s Disease Neuroimaging Initiative.. Causal links among amyloid, tau, and neurodegeneration. Brain Commun. 2022;4(4):fcac193.
- Bilgel M, An Y, Helphrey J, Elkins W, Gomez G, Wong DF, Davatzikos C, Ferrucci L, Resnick SM. Effects of amyloid pathology and neurodegeneration on cognitive change in cognitively normal adults. Brain. 2018;141(8):2475-2485.
- Armstrong NM, An Y, Beason-Held L, Doshi J, Erus G, Ferrucci L, Davatzikos C, Resnick SM. Predictors of neurodegeneration differ between cognitively normal and subsequently impaired older adults. Neurobiol Aging. 2019;75:178-186.
- Armstrong NM, An Y, Shin JJ, Williams OA, Doshi J, Erus G, Davatzikos C, Ferrucci L, Beason-Held LL, Resnick SM. Associations between cognitive and brain volume changes in cognitively normal older adults. Neuroimage. 2020;223:117289.
- Williams OA, An Y, Armstrong NM, Kitner-Triolo M, Ferrucci L, Resnick SM. Profiles of Cognitive Change in Preclinical and Prodromal Alzheimer's Disease Using Change-Point Analysis. J Alzheimers Dis. 2020;75(4):1169-1180.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Social and Behavioral Sciences
Genetics and Genomics
This page was last updated on Tuesday, August 16, 2022