Ross William Cheloha, Ph.D.
Chemical Biology in Signaling Section, Laboratory of Bioorganic Chemistry
My research aims to develop new methods and tools applied to the study of biomolecules of interest, with a focus on designing new compounds for targeting cell surface receptors. My lab is particularly interested in the preparation of conjugates that consist of synthetic molecules and proteins. Towards this end, we develop new methods of protein preparation and conjugation, undertake medicinal chemistry campaigns, and perform pharmacological assays. These approaches focus on the pharmacology of G protein-coupled receptors, a family of proteins which constitute the target of over a quarter of approved therapeutics, with a specific emphasis on receptors relevant for the treatment of osteoporosis, diabetes, and inflammation. Findings from these studies will guide the rational design of therapeutics with improved properties.
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, 2017
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and Massachusetts Institute for Technology, 2015
- Ph.D., University of Wisconsin-Madison, 2015
- Sachdev S, Cabalteja CC, Cheloha RW. Strategies for targeting cell surface proteins using multivalent conjugates and chemical biology. Methods Cell Biol. 2021;166:205-222.
- Cheloha RW, Fischer FA, Woodham AW, Daley E, Suminski N, Gardella TJ, Ploegh HL. Improved GPCR ligands from nanobody tethering. Nat Commun. 2020;11(1):2087.
- Cheloha RW, Harmand TJ, Wijne C, Schwartz TU, Ploegh HL. Exploring cellular biochemistry with nanobodies. J Biol Chem. 2020;295(45):15307-15327.
- Woodham AW, Zeigler SH, Zeyang EL, Kolifrath SC, Cheloha RW, Rashidian M, Chaparro RJ, Seidel RD, Garforth SJ, Dearling JL, Mesyngier M, Duddempudi PK, Packard AB, Almo SC, Ploegh HL. In vivo detection of antigen-specific CD8+ T cells by immuno-positron emission tomography. Nat Methods. 2020;17(10):1025-1032.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
This page was last updated on Wednesday, August 17, 2022