Ronald M. Summers, M.D., Ph.D.
Imaging Biomarkers and Computer-Aided Diagnosis Laboratory
NIH Clinical Center
Dr. Summer's research interests include deep learning, virtual colonoscopy, CAD and development of large radiologic image databases. His clinical areas of specialty are thoracic and abdominal radiology and body cross-sectional imaging.
Dr. Summers received the BA degree in physics and the MD and PhD degrees in Medicine/Anatomy and Cell Biology from the University of Pennsylvania.
He completed a medical internship at the Presbyterian-University of Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia, PA, a radiology residency at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, and an MRI fellowship at Duke University, Durham, NC.
In 1994, he joined the Radiology and Imaging Sciences Department at the NIH Clinical Center in Bethesda, MD. where he is now a tenured Senior Investigator and Staff Radiologist. He is a Fellow of the Society of Abdominal Radiologists and of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE).
He directs the Imaging Biomarkers and Computer-Aided Diagnosis (CAD) Laboratory and is former and founding Chief of the NIH Clinical Image Processing Service.
In 2000, he received the Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers, presented by Dr. Neal Lane, President Clinton's science advisor. In 2012, he received the NIH Director's Award, presented by NIH Director Dr. Francis Collins. In 2017, he received the NIH Clinical Center Director's Award.
He has co-authored over 500 journal, review and conference proceedings articles and is a co-inventor on 14 patents.
He is a member of the editorial boards of the Journal of Medical Imaging, Radiology: Artificial Intelligence and Academic Radiology and a past member of the editorial board of Radiology. He is a program committee member of the Computer-aided Diagnosis section of the annual SPIE Medical Imaging conference and was co-chair of the entire conference in 2018 and 2019. He was Program Co-Chair of the 2018 IEEE ISBI symposium.
See his Curriculum Vitae.
- Shin HC, Roth HR, Gao M, Lu L, Xu Z, Nogues I, Yao J, Mollura D, Summers RM. Deep Convolutional Neural Networks for Computer-Aided Detection: CNN Architectures, Dataset Characteristics and Transfer Learning. IEEE Trans Med Imaging. 2016;35(5):1285-98.
- Yan K, Wang X, Lu L, Summers RM. DeepLesion: automated mining of large-scale lesion annotations and universal lesion detection with deep learning. J Med Imaging (Bellingham). 2018;5(3):036501.
- Pickhardt PJ, Graffy PM, Zea R, Lee SJ, Liu J, Sandfort V, Summers RM. Automated CT biomarkers for opportunistic prediction of future cardiovascular events and mortality in an asymptomatic screening population: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet Digit Health. 2020;2(4):e192-e200.
- Tallam H, Elton DC, Lee S, Wakim P, Pickhardt PJ, Summers RM. Fully Automated Abdominal CT Biomarkers for Type 2 Diabetes Using Deep Learning. Radiology. 2022;304(1):85-95.
- Summers RM, Yao J, Pickhardt PJ, Franaszek M, Bitter I, Brickman D, Krishna V, Choi JR. Computed tomographic virtual colonoscopy computer-aided polyp detection in a screening population. Gastroenterology. 2005;129(6):1832-44.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics
This page was last updated on Friday, July 29, 2022