Dr. Hassan's clinical and laboratory research is focused on developing mesothelin targeted immunotherapy to treat patients with malignant mesothelioma and other solid tumors. While working as a postdoctoral fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Ira Pastan, Dr. Hassan did the initial preclinical studies to exploit mesothelin as a target for cancer therapy and has played a key role in bringing mesothelin-directed therapies to the clinic. These include anti-mesothelin immunotoxins (SS1P and LMB-100), chimeric monoclonal antibody to mesothelin (Amatuximab) and anti-mesothelin antibody drug conjugate (BAY 94-9343).
His lab has recently developed highly active CAR T cells (hYP218) that target a membrane proximal epitope of mesothelin and clinical trial of hYP218 CAR T cells to treat patients with treatment refractory solid tumors is expected to open soon at the NCI. His ongoing laboratory studies are focused on making CAR T cells effective to treat solid tumors by overcoming tumor immune suppressive factors; improving persistence of CAR T cells and using mesothelin directed NK cells for cellular therapy.
In addition, he is interested in mesothelioma genetics and has initiated a long-term prospective trial of cancer screening in patients and their asymptomatic family members harboring pathogenic mutations in the BAP1 gene for early detection of different cancers to which they are predisposed. This protocol will provide definitive answers about incidence of different cancers in these families and whether early cancer detection will improve their outcomes.
- Pastan I, Hassan R. Discovery of mesothelin and exploiting it as a target for immunotherapy. Cancer Res. 2014;74(11):2907-12.
- Hassan R, Miller AC, Sharon E, Thomas A, Reynolds JC, Ling A, Kreitman RJ, Miettinen MM, Steinberg SM, Fowler DH, Pastan I. Major cancer regressions in mesothelioma after treatment with an anti-mesothelin immunotoxin and immune suppression. Sci Transl Med. 2013;5(208):208ra147.
- Hassan R, Cohen SJ, Phillips M, Pastan I, Sharon E, Kelly RJ, Schweizer C, Weil S, Laheru D. Phase I clinical trial of the chimeric anti-mesothelin monoclonal antibody MORAb-009 in patients with mesothelin-expressing cancers. Clin Cancer Res. 2010;16(24):6132-8.
- Hassan R, Bullock S, Premkumar A, Kreitman RJ, Kindler H, Willingham MC, Pastan I. Phase I study of SS1P, a recombinant anti-mesothelin immunotoxin given as a bolus I.V. infusion to patients with mesothelin-expressing mesothelioma, ovarian, and pancreatic cancers. Clin Cancer Res. 2007;13(17):5144-9.
- Hassan R, Remaley AT, Sampson ML, Zhang J, Cox DD, Pingpank J, Alexander R, Willingham M, Pastan I, Onda M. Detection and quantitation of serum mesothelin, a tumor marker for patients with mesothelioma and ovarian cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2006;12(2):447-53.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Genetics and Genomics
View additional Principal Investigators in Genetics and Genomics
This page was last updated on Tuesday, March 14, 2023