Dr. Minkyo Song's research focuses on how variation in immunity affects the aging progress and age-related outcomes in general and immune-altered populations. Despite the growing burden of autoimmune diseases and the importance of understanding their pathophysiology, studies of autoimmune diseases and aging are scarce. Dr. Song's unit is dedicated to filling these gaps by investigating the patterns and variations of autoimmune diseases, addressing underdiagnosis, utilizing lifespan and longitudinal epidemiologic designs, and incorporating emerging risk factors such as new drugs, infections, and air pollution. Her research program leverages the recent and rapidly evolving tools of immunology and related technologies, particularly high-throughput proteomics and bioinformatics tools, to investigate the interaction of autoimmune diseases and aging and identify robust autoimmune disease biomarkers, integrating these into epidemiologic studies.
Dr. Song earned her medical degree after graduating from Seoul National University College of Medicine in Korea. She was board-certified in Preventive Medicine upon completion of her residency and earned M.S. and Ph.D. in epidemiology at the same institute. Dr. Song was a postdoctoral fellow and later a research fellow at the National Cancer Institute (NCI), U.S., and transitioned to a Tenure Track Investigator at the National Institute on Aging.
Dr. Song has received numerous awards for her work, including the NIH and NCI Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics (DCEG) Fellows Award for Research Excellence, the NCI Director's Intramural Innovation Award, and the DCEG Outstanding Mentor Award.
- Song M, Camargo MC, Derkach A, Rabkin CS, Engels EA. Associations Between Autoimmune Conditions and Gastric Cancer Risk Among Elderly Adults in the United States. Am J Gastroenterol. 2022;117(3):486-490.
- Song M, Camargo MC, Katki HA, Weinstein SJ, Männistö S, Albanes D, Surcel HM, Rabkin CS. Association of Antiparietal Cell and Anti-Intrinsic Factor Antibodies With Risk of Gastric Cancer. JAMA Oncol. 2022;8(2):268-274.
- Wang JH, D'Arcy M, Barnes EL, Freedman ND, Engels EA, Song M. Associations of Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Subsequent Cancers in a Population-Based Study of Older Adults in the United States. JNCI Cancer Spectr. 2022;6(1).
- Song L, Song M, Camargo MC, Van Duine J, Williams S, Chung Y, Kim KM, Lissowska J, Sivins A, Gao W, Karthikeyan K, Park J, Leja M, Cohen JI, LaBaer J, Qiu J, Rabkin CS. Identification of anti-Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) antibody signature in EBV-associated gastric carcinoma. Gastric Cancer. 2021;24(4):858-867.
- Van Alsten SC, Rabkin CS, Sawada N, Shimazu T, Charvat H, Yamaji T, Inoue M, Kemp TJ, Pinto LA, Camargo MC, Tsugane S, Song M. Metabolic Syndrome, Physical Activity, and Inflammation: A Cross-Sectional Analysis of 110 Circulating Biomarkers in Japanese Adults. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2020;29(8):1639-1646.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
Social and Behavioral Sciences
This page was last updated on Wednesday, April 19, 2023