Mike Michaelides, Ph.D.
Neuroimaging Research Branch, Biobehavioral Imaging and Molecular Neuropsychopharmacology Unit
Our laboratory implements state-of-the-art biobehavioral molecular imaging approaches integrated alongside cutting-edge neuromodulatory, molecular, pharmacological, transgenic, and bioinformatic methods for identifying behaviorally-relevant neurobiological mechanisms critical for substance abuse and addiction. Special emphasis is placed on reverse-translating findings from clinical research to animals. In addition, clinical relevance of mechanisms studied in animals is determined in humans via imaging, bioinformatics, genetics and postmortem tissue examinations.
- Gomez JL, Bonaventura J, Lesniak W, Mathews WB, Sysa-Shah P, Rodriguez LA, Ellis RJ, Richie CT, Harvey BK, Dannals RF, Pomper MG, Bonci A, Michaelides M. Chemogenetics revealed: DREADD occupancy and activation via converted clozapine. Science. 2017;357(6350):503-507.
- Magnus CJ, Lee PH, Bonaventura J, Zemla R, Gomez JL, Ramirez MH, Hu X, Galvan A, Basu J, Michaelides M, Sternson SM. Ultrapotent chemogenetics for research and potential clinical applications. Science. 2019;364(6436).
- Bonaventura J, Lam S, Carlton M, Boehm MA, Gomez JL, Solís O, Sánchez-Soto M, Morris PJ, Fredriksson I, Thomas CJ, Sibley DR, Shaham Y, Zarate CA Jr, Michaelides M. Pharmacological and behavioral divergence of ketamine enantiomers: implications for abuse liability. Mol Psychiatry. 2021.
- Bonaventura J, Eldridge MAG, Hu F, Gomez JL, Sanchez-Soto M, Abramyan AM, Lam S, Boehm MA, Ruiz C, Farrell MR, Moreno A, Galal Faress IM, Andersen N, Lin JY, Moaddel R, Morris PJ, Shi L, Sibley DR, Mahler SV, Nabavi S, Pomper MG, Bonci A, Horti AG, Richmond BJ, Michaelides M. High-potency ligands for DREADD imaging and activation in rodents and monkeys. Nat Commun. 2019;10(1):4627.
- Hu F, Morris PJ, Bonaventura J, Fan H, Mathews WB, Holt DP, Lam S, Boehm M, Dannals RF, Pomper MG, Michaelides M, Horti AG. 18F-labeled radiotracers for in vivo imaging of DREADD with positron emission tomography. Eur J Med Chem. 2021;213:113047.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
View additional Principal Investigators in Molecular Pharmacology
Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics
View additional Principal Investigators in Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics
View additional Principal Investigators in Computational Biology
This page was last updated on Friday, November 2, 2018