The mission of Division of the Surgical Pathology is to provide the most accurate and timely pathology consultations serving the clinical trials of the NCI/NIH using the latest technology integrated in morphologic evaluation. Dr. Miettinen's research interests include pathology of soft tissue tumors and gastrointestinal stromal tumor. His group has delineated the prognostication system for GIST and clinicopathologic profile or GISTs of different sites. Current work includes prognostic, molecular, and biomarker analysis of sporadic and syndromic GISTs and evaluation of new diagnostic markers for soft tissue sarcomas and related tumors.
Dr. Miettinen earned the degrees of M.D. in 1977 and Ph.D. in 1983 from the University of Helsinki Medical School, where he also completed his residency in anatomic pathology in 1982. Previously, he served as a Chairman and Registrar and Distinguished Scientist of the Department of Soft Tissue and Orthopedic Pathology in the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology for 15 years and Professor of Pathology and attending pathologist at the Jefferson Medical College and Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. He was also an attending pathologist and assistant professor of pathology at the University of Helsinki and its affiliated hospitals. He serves on the editorial boards of American Journal of Surgical Pathology, Human Pathology, The Journal of Pathology, and Applied Immunohistochemistry and Molecular Morphology.
- Inaguma S, Wang Z, Lasota J, Sarlomo-Rikala M, McCue PA, Ikeda H, Miettinen M. Comprehensive Immunohistochemical Study of Programmed Cell Death Ligand 1 (PD-L1): Analysis in 5536 Cases Revealed Consistent Expression in Trophoblastic Tumors. Am J Surg Pathol. 2016;40(8):1133-42.
- Boikos SA, Pappo AS, Killian JK, LaQuaglia MP, Weldon CB, George S, Trent JC, von Mehren M, Wright JA, Schiffman JD, Raygada M, Pacak K, Meltzer PS, Miettinen MM, Stratakis C, Janeway KA, Helman LJ. Molecular Subtypes of KIT/PDGFRA Wild-Type Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors: A Report From the National Institutes of Health Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Clinic. JAMA Oncol. 2016;2(7):922-8.
- Laskin WB, Lasota JP, Fetsch JF, Felisiak-Golabek A, Wang ZF, Miettinen M. Intranodal palisaded myofibroblastoma: another mesenchymal neoplasm with CTNNB1 (β-catenin gene) mutations: clinicopathologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular genetic study of 18 cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015;39(2):197-205.
- Miettinen M, Wang Z, Lasota J, Heery C, Schlom J, Palena C. Nuclear Brachyury Expression Is Consistent in Chordoma, Common in Germ Cell Tumors and Small Cell Carcinomas, and Rare in Other Carcinomas and Sarcomas: An Immunohistochemical Study of 5229 Cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2015;39(10):1305-12.
- Killian JK, Miettinen M, Walker RL, Wang Y, Zhu YJ, Waterfall JJ, Noyes N, Retnakumar P, Yang Z, Smith WI Jr, Killian MS, Lau CC, Pineda M, Walling J, Stevenson H, Smith C, Wang Z, Lasota J, Kim SY, Boikos SA, Helman LJ, Meltzer PS. Recurrent epimutation of SDHC in gastrointestinal stromal tumors. Sci Transl Med. 2014;6(268):268ra177.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
This page was last updated on Monday, May 8, 2023