Over the past decade, we have made important contributions to the differential diagnosis of hypercortisolism. We established the corticotropin releasing hormone (CRH) test and inferior petrosal sinus sampling (IPS) as major diagnostic tools for the identification of pituitary adenomas causing Cushing’s syndrome. However, the detection of Cushing’s syndrome remains difficult, as does the localization of ectopic ACTH-producing tumors. We also evaluate the pathophysiology and potential new treatments for fibroids in women. This reproductive disorder is common, poorly understood, and lacks optimal medical treatments.
- Nieman LK. Molecular derangements and the diagnosis of ACTH-Dependent Cushing's syndrome. Endocr Rev. 2021.
- Shekhar S, McGlotten R, Auh S, Rother KI, Nieman LK. The Hypothalamic-Pituitary-Thyroid Axis in Cushing Syndrome Before and After Curative Surgery. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2021;106(3):e1316-e1331.
- Nieman LK, Biller BM, Findling JW, Murad MH, Newell-Price J, Savage MO, Tabarin A, Endocrine Society.. Treatment of Cushing's Syndrome: An Endocrine Society Clinical Practice Guideline. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015;100(8):2807-31.
- Feelders RA, Newell-Price J, Pivonello R, Nieman LK, Hofland LJ, Lacroix A. Advances in the medical treatment of Cushing's syndrome. Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2019;7(4):300-312.
- Nieman LK, Blocker W, Nansel T, Mahoney S, Reynolds J, Blithe D, Wesley R, Armstrong A. Efficacy and tolerability of CDB-2914 treatment for symptomatic uterine fibroids: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, phase IIb study. Fertil Steril. 2011;95(2):767-72.e1-2.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
This page was last updated on Friday, September 9, 2022