Chemokines and their receptors are proteins important for leukocyte trafficking, are critical in immune responses and inflammation, and are emerging therapeutic targets in HIV and a variety of immune-mediated diseases.
Recently, members of the Inflammation Biology Section have been using the chemokine system to investigate the activities of human T-cell subsets and the differentiation of memory T cells, including the newly recognized Th17 cells; to understand cellular and molecular mechanisms in medically relevant models of inflammatory tissue injury, including models of Th17-cell mediated disease; and to develop new tools for clinical imaging in cancer and inflammation.
Dr. Farber obtained his M.D. from The Johns Hopkins University, where he did additional clinical training in internal medicine and infectious diseases. Dr. Farber's postdoctoral training in bench research was both at the National Institutes of Health and at Johns Hopkins. Dr. Farber joined the NIAID Laboratory of Clinical Investigation in 1993, became a senior investigator in 2000, and moved to the Laboratory of Molecular Immunology at its inception in 2004.
- Singh SP, Parween F, Edara N, Zhang HH, Chen J, Otaizo-Carrasquero F, Cheng D, Oppenheim NA, Ransier A, Zhu W, Shamsaddini A, Gardina PJ, Darko SW, Singh TP, Douek DC, Myers TG, Farber JM. Human CCR6+ Th Cells Show Both an Extended Stable Gradient of Th17 Activity and Imprinted Plasticity. J Immunol. 2023;210(11):1700-1716.
- Lee CH, Zhang HH, Singh SP, Koo L, Kabat J, Tsang H, Singh TP, Farber JM. C/EBPδ drives interactions between human MAIT cells and endothelial cells that are important for extravasation. Elife. 2018;7.
- Weiss ID, Huff LM, Evbuomwan MO, Xu X, Dang HD, Velez DS, Singh SP, Zhang HH, Gardina PJ, Lee JH, Lindenberg L, Myers TG, Paik CH, Schrump DS, Pittaluga S, Choyke PL, Fojo T, Farber JM. Screening of cancer tissue arrays identifies CXCR4 on adrenocortical carcinoma: correlates with expression and quantification on metastases using (64)Cu-plerixafor PET. Oncotarget. 2017;8(43):73387-73406.
- Hedrick MN, Lonsdorf AS, Shirakawa AK, Richard Lee CC, Liao F, Singh SP, Zhang HH, Grinberg A, Love PE, Hwang ST, Farber JM. CCR6 is required for IL-23-induced psoriasis-like inflammation in mice. J Clin Invest. 2009;119(8):2317-29.
- Singh SP, Zhang HH, Foley JF, Hedrick MN, Farber JM. Human T cells that are able to produce IL-17 express the chemokine receptor CCR6. J Immunol. 2008;180(1):214-21.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
This page was last updated on Thursday, August 10, 2023