Our group develops novel materials for use in the delivery of therapeutics and as antibacterial agents. We are particularly interested in peptide and protein-based hydrogel materials formed by self-assembly mechanisms. Our work spans molecular conception, materials synthesis, nano- and bulk mechanical materials characterization, cell-material interactions, biocompatibility, and assessment of performance efficacy. Our basic research establishes how material composition and structure influences material function, and lays the foundation to ultimately translate materials to the clinic. We also develop and study membrane-perturbing peptides as drug delivery vehicles.
Dr. Schneider received his Ph.D. in Organic Chemistry from Texas A&M University with Jeffery Kelly and then went on to the University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics where he was a George W. Raiziss Fellow with William DeGrado studying protein design. In 1999, he began his independent career at the University of Delaware as an assistant professor of Chemistry and Biochemistry and was promoted to associate and then full professor in 2009 with a secondary appointment in Materials Science and Engineering. He joined the NCI in 2010 as lab Chief of the newly established Chemical Biology Laboratory and was later appointed Deputy Director in 2015. He currently serves as the president of the American Peptide Society and Executive Editor of Biopolymers-Peptide Science.
- Giano MC, Ibrahim Z, Medina SH, Sarhane KA, Christensen JM, Yamada Y, Brandacher G, Schneider JP. Injectable bioadhesive hydrogels with innate antibacterial properties. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4095.
- Sinthuvanich C, Veiga AS, Gupta K, Gaspar D, Blumenthal R, Schneider JP. Anticancer β-hairpin peptides: membrane-induced folding triggers activity. J Am Chem Soc. 2012;134(14):6210-7.
- Nagy KJ, Giano MC, Jin A, Pochan DJ, Schneider JP. Enhanced mechanical rigidity of hydrogels formed from enantiomeric peptide assemblies. J Am Chem Soc. 2011;133(38):14975-7.
- Haines-Butterick L, Rajagopal K, Branco M, Salick D, Rughani R, Pilarz M, Lamm MS, Pochan DJ, Schneider JP. Controlling hydrogelation kinetics by peptide design for three-dimensional encapsulation and injectable delivery of cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104(19):7791-6.
- Schneider JP, Pochan DJ, Ozbas B, Rajagopal K, Pakstis L, Kretsinger J. Responsive hydrogels from the intramolecular folding and self-assembly of a designed peptide. J Am Chem Soc. 2002;124(50):15030-7.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics
View additional Principal Investigators in Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
View additional Principal Investigators in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
This page was last updated on Wednesday, August 31, 2022