Jean Lud Cadet, M.D.
Molecular Neuropsychiatry Branch, Molecular Neuropsychiatry Section
Research in our section focuses on studies the molecular and cellular mechanisms of psychostimulant addiction and toxicity. Dr. Cadet’s group has provided recent evidence that methamphetamine (METH) self-administration is accompanied with markers of toxicity in striatal dopaminergic systems. These results are consistent with the idea that catecholamines, especially, dopamine can activate neurodegenerative processes in the mammalian brain. We have also shown recently that METH preconditioning protects against METH toxicity. This occurs by upregulation of neurotrophic factors such as BDNF and/or downregulation of glutamatergic systems. Preliminary studies have shown that these changes are secondary to epigenetic modifications that include histone hypoacetylation and DNA methylation. The laboratory is thus pursuing investigations to further identify epigenetic markers that are involved in METH self-administration and METH preconditioning.
- Cadet JL, Brannock C, Krasnova IN, Jayanthi S, Ladenheim B, McCoy MT, Walther D, Godino A, Pirooznia M, Lee RS. Genome-wide DNA hydroxymethylation identifies potassium channels in the nucleus accumbens as discriminators of methamphetamine addiction and abstinence. Mol Psychiatry. 2017;22(8):1196-1204.
- Duan Y, Tsai PJ, Salmeron BJ, Hu Y, Gu H, Lu H, Cadet JL, Stein EA, Yang Y. Compulsive drug-taking is associated with habenula-frontal cortex connectivity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2022;119(50):e2208867119.
- Jayanthi S, Ladenheim B, Sullivan P, McCoy MT, Krasnova IN, Goldstein DS, Cadet JL. Biochemical Neuroadaptations in the Rat Striatal Dopaminergic System after Prolonged Exposure to Methamphetamine Self-Administration. Int J Mol Sci. 2022;23(17).
- Daiwile AP, Jayanthi S, Cadet JL. Sex differences in methamphetamine use disorder perused from pre-clinical and clinical studies: Potential therapeutic impacts. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2022;137:104674.
- Jayanthi S, Peesapati R, McCoy MT, Ladenheim B, Cadet JL. Footshock-Induced Abstinence from Compulsive Methamphetamine Self-administration in Rat Model Is Accompanied by Increased Hippocampal Expression of Cannabinoid Receptors (CB1 and CB2). Mol Neurobiol. 2022;59(2):1238-1248.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Genetics and Genomics
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
This page was last updated on Tuesday, September 5, 2023