Dr.Wallen's clinical research specializations include health behavior and health disparities research with special emphasis on methodology and measurement in end-of-life care, integrative health and vulnerable populations. Prior to beginning her career as a clinical nurse scientist and nursing administrator she held advance practice roles as the Clinical Specialist for Neonatology and Clinical Manager of the Level III NICU at the Washington Hospital Center, in Washington, DC. Dr. Wallen also served as a post-doctoral research associate in the Department of Family Studies at the University of Maryland coordinating evaluation research for three state and local Responsible Fatherhood programs.
Gwenyth Wallen, RN, PhD is currently the Chief Nurse Officer, Deputy Chief Nurse Officer for Research and Practice Development and the Chief of Nursing Research and Translational Science at the National Institutes of Health, Clinical Center. Dr. Wallen is a member of the Eunice Shriver National Institute of Child Health and Human Development (NICHD) Institutional Review Board. She serves as an Adjunct Associate Professor for Behavioral and Community Health, University of Maryland, School of Public Health and an Adjunct Clinical Instructor, University of Michigan, School of Nursing. Dr. Wallen has a BS in Nursing from the University of Maryland, a MA in Business Management and Supervision from Central Michigan University, and a PhD in Health Education from the University of Maryland. In 2008 she completed the 2-year University of Arizona Fellowship in Integrative Medicine as part of her developing portfolio of integrative health research.
- Brooks AT, Kazmi N, Yang L, Tuason RT, Krumlauf MC, Wallen GR. Sleep-Related Cognitive/Behavioral Predictors of Sleep Quality and Relapse in Individuals with Alcohol Use Disorder. Int J Behav Med. 2021;28(1):73-82.
- Wallen GR, Park J, Krumlauf M, Brooks AT. Identification of Distinct Latent Classes Related to Sleep, PTSD, Depression, and Anxiety in Individuals Diagnosed With Severe Alcohol Use Disorder. Behav Sleep Med. 2019;17(4):514-523.
- Wallen GR, Middleton KR, Miller-Davis C, Tataw-Ayuketah G, Todaro A, Rivera-Goba M, Mittleman BB. Patients' and community leaders' perceptions regarding conducting health behavior research in a diverse, urban clinic specializing in rheumatic diseases. Prog Community Health Partnersh. 2012;6(4):405-15.
- Brooks AT, Krumlauf M, Fryer CS, Beck KH, Yang L, Ramchandani VA, Wallen GR. Critical Transitions: A Mixed Methods Examination of Sleep from Inpatient Alcohol Rehabilitation Treatment to the Community. PLoS One. 2016;11(8):e0161725.
- Wallen GR, Baker K, Stolar M, Miller-Davis C, Ames N, Yates J, Bolle J, Pereira D, St Germain D, Handel D, Berger A. Palliative care outcomes in surgical oncology patients with advanced malignancies: a mixed methods approach. Qual Life Res. 2012;21(3):405-15.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Social and Behavioral Sciences
This page was last updated on Friday, August 26, 2022