Through the Dermatology Consultation Service at the NIH Clinical Center, patients with a variety of rare diseases with cutaneous manifestations are evaluated. In addition, patients who experience adverse reactions to experimental therapeutic agents or manifest unrelated skin conditions while at the NIH are assessed and treated. We provide training to Dermatology Branch clinical fellows, fellows from other NIH Institutes, and visiting dermatology residents from around the country. 'Grand Rounds at the NIH', an ongoing feature published in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, selects and highlights interesting cases that we have evaluated.
Dr. Cowen's primary research interest involves chronic graft-versus-host disease (cGVHD) and autoinflammatory diseases. He is Co-Study Chair of a multi-disciplinary NIH initiative aimed at the study and treatment of cGVHD (04-C-0281) and Principal Investigator of a therapeutic study of topical ruxolitinib for cutaneous cGVHD (18-AR-0035).
Dr. Edward W. Cowen leads the NIH Dermatology Consultation Service, conducts independent and collaborative research, and oversees the continuing medication education-accredited Dermatology Grand Rounds, Branch Clinical Fellowship and resident education programs. He is an internationally recognized expert in cutaneous graft-versus-host disease and serves as Director on the American Board of Dermatology as well as on the Editorial Board of JAMA Dermatology.
- Baird K, Comis LE, Joe GO, Steinberg SM, Hakim FT, Rose JJ, Mitchell SA, Pavletic SZ, Figg WD, Yao L, Flanders KC, Takebe N, Sarantopoulos S, Booher S, Cowen EW. Imatinib mesylate for the treatment of steroid-refractory sclerotic-type cutaneous chronic graft-versus-host disease. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2015;21(6):1083-90.
- Jagasia MH, Greinix HT, Arora M, Williams KM, Wolff D, Cowen EW, Palmer J, Weisdorf D, Treister NS, Cheng GS, Kerr H, Stratton P, Duarte RF, McDonald GB, Inamoto Y, Vigorito A, Arai S, Datiles MB, Jacobsohn D, Heller T, Kitko CL, Mitchell SA, Martin PJ, Shulman H, Wu RS, Cutler CS, Vogelsang GB, Lee SJ, Pavletic SZ, Flowers ME. National Institutes of Health Consensus Development Project on Criteria for Clinical Trials in Chronic Graft-versus-Host Disease: I. The 2014 Diagnosis and Staging Working Group report. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2015;21(3):389-401.e1.
- Naik HB, Steinberg SM, Middelton LA, Hewitt SM, Zuo RC, Linehan WM, Kong HH, Cowen EW. Efficacy of Intralesional Botulinum Toxin A for Treatment of Painful Cutaneous Leiomyomas: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Dermatol. 2015;151(10):1096-102.
- Martires KJ, Baird K, Steinberg SM, Grkovic L, Joe GO, Williams KM, Mitchell SA, Datiles M, Hakim FT, Pavletic SZ, Cowen EW. Sclerotic-type chronic GVHD of the skin: clinical risk factors, laboratory markers, and burden of disease. Blood. 2011;118(15):4250-7.
- Cowen EW, Nguyen JC, Miller DD, McShane D, Arron ST, Prose NS, Turner ML, Fox LP. Chronic phototoxicity and aggressive squamous cell carcinoma of the skin in children and adults during treatment with voriconazole. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010;62(1):31-7.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
This page was last updated on Wednesday, August 31, 2022