Doreen Matthies is an Earl Stadtman tenure-track investigator and the Head of the Unit on Structural Biology in the Division of Basic and Translational Biophysics at NICHD. She obtained her diploma in Molecular Biology (2008) and her Ph.D. in Biochemistry (2014) from the University of Frankfurt in Germany while performing her research work in the group of Thomas Meier at the Max-Planck-Institute of Biophysics in the Department of Structural Biology lead by Werner Kühlbrandt. She joined the group of Sriram Subramaniam in the Laboratory of Cell Biology at NCI, NIH for her postdoctoral work (2013-2018) followed by two years in the Cryo-EM Department at HHMI Janelia before starting her own Structural Biology lab within NICHD at the end of 2020.
- Petersen JD, Lu J, Fitzgerald W, Zhou F, Blank PS, Matthies D, Zimmerberg J. Unique Aggregation of Retroviral Particles Pseudotyped with the Delta Variant SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein. Viruses. 2022;14(5).
- Wasmuth EV, Broeck AV, LaClair JR, Hoover EA, Lawrence KE, Paknejad N, Pappas K, Matthies D, Wang B, Feng W, Watson PA, Zinder JC, Karthaus WR, de la Cruz MJ, Hite RK, Manova-Todorova K, Yu Z, Weintraub ST, Klinge S, Sawyers CL. Allosteric interactions prime androgen receptor dimerization and activation. Mol Cell. 2022;82(11):2021-2031.e5.
- Qiu B, Matthies D, Fortea E, Yu Z, Boudker O. Cryo-EM structures of excitatory amino acid transporter 3 visualize coupled substrate, sodium, and proton binding and transport. Sci Adv. 2021;7(10).
- Matthies D, Bae C, Toombes GE, Fox T, Bartesaghi A, Subramaniam S, Swartz KJ. Single-particle cryo-EM structure of a voltage-activated potassium channel in lipid nanodiscs. Elife. 2018;7.
- Matthies D, Dalmas O, Borgnia MJ, Dominik PK, Merk A, Rao P, Reddy BG, Islam S, Bartesaghi A, Perozo E, Subramaniam S. Cryo-EM Structures of the Magnesium Channel CorA Reveal Symmetry Break upon Gating. Cell. 2016;164(4):747-56.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics
This page was last updated on Tuesday, August 16, 2022