The objectives of the Lipid Peroxidation Unit are: (1) to delineate the roles of lipid peroxidation and lipid-related degeneration in age-related diseases, with an emphasis on chronic pain and Alzheimer’s disease, and (2) to translate discoveries into targeted, safe and effective diet and drug-based treatments. The Unit applies an interdisciplinary, translational approach—comprising randomized controlled trials, postmortem studies using traditional and multiplex immunohistochemistry, synthetic and analytical chemistry, and cellular models—to achieve these objectives.
Dr. Ramsden is a Clinical Investigator in the Intramural Program of the NIH and CAPT in the Commissioned Corps of the U.S. Public Health Service. Following completion of a medical internship and residency, Dr. Ramsden was a clinical research fellow at UNC-Chapel Hill before joining the Intramural Program of the NIAAA in 2009. In 2016, he was appointed to a Clinical Tenure-Track position as the Head of the Lipid Peroxidation Unit, within the Laboratory of Clinical Investigation in the NIA in Baltimore, MD, with a joint Tenure-Track appointment in the Intramural Program of NIAAA in Bethesda, MD. Dr. Ramsden currently leads an interdisciplinary, translational research program investigating the roles of lipid mediators and lipid-related mechanisms underlying the pathogenesis of chronic pain and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Ramsden CE, Keyes GS, Calzada E, Horowitz MS, Zamora D, Jahanipour J, Sedlock A, Indig FE, Moaddel R, Kapogiannis D, Maric D. Lipid Peroxidation Induced ApoE Receptor-Ligand Disruption as a Unifying Hypothesis Underlying Sporadic Alzheimer's Disease in Humans. J Alzheimers Dis. 2022.
- Ramsden CE, Zamora D, Faurot KR, MacIntosh B, Horowitz M, Keyes GS, Yuan ZX, Miller V, Lynch C, Honvoh G, Park J, Levy R, Domenichiello AF, Johnston A, Majchrzak-Hong S, Hibbeln JR, Barrow DA, Loewke J, Davis JM, Mannes A, Palsson OS, Suchindran CM, Gaylord SA, Mann JD. Dietary alteration of n-3 and n-6 fatty acids for headache reduction in adults with migraine: randomized controlled trial. BMJ. 2021;374:n1448.
- Ramsden CE, Faurot KR, Zamora D, Suchindran CM, MacIntosh BA, Gaylord S, Ringel A, Hibbeln JR, Feldstein AE, Mori TA, Barden A, Lynch C, Coble R, Mas E, Palsson O, Barrow DA, Mann DJ. Targeted alteration of dietary n-3 and n-6 fatty acids for the treatment of chronic headaches: a randomized trial. Pain. 2013;154(11):2441-2451.
- Ramsden CE, Zamora D, Majchrzak-Hong S, Faurot KR, Broste SK, Frantz RP, Davis JM, Ringel A, Suchindran CM, Hibbeln JR. Re-evaluation of the traditional diet-heart hypothesis: analysis of recovered data from Minnesota Coronary Experiment (1968-73). BMJ. 2016;353:i1246.
- Ramsden CE, Zamora D, Leelarthaepin B, Majchrzak-Hong SF, Faurot KR, Suchindran CM, Ringel A, Davis JM, Hibbeln JR. Use of dietary linoleic acid for secondary prevention of coronary heart disease and death: evaluation of recovered data from the Sydney Diet Heart Study and updated meta-analysis. BMJ. 2013;346:e8707.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
This page was last updated on Wednesday, June 15, 2022