Charles Natanson, M.D.
Critical Care Medicine Department
NIH Clinical Center
Dr. Natanson's research interests include using large and small animal models of sepsis to study the pathogenesis of – and new therapeutic interventions for – septic shock. Most recently he has investigated the effect of transfused blood at the end of the storage period abilty to in vivo hemolyze to donate more iron and heme and thereby worsen infections.
Dr. Natanson is a Senior Investigator and Chief of the Anesthesia Section in the NIH Clinical Center's Critical Care Medicine Department. He also is professor of anesthesia at University of Maryland and at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore, clinical professor of medicine at George Washington University, and staff clinical anesthesiologist at Providence Hospital in Washington, DC. He graduated from the University of Wisconsin at Madison and earned a medical degree from Columbia University. He completed an internship and residency in medicine at New York Hospital's Cornell Medical Center, followed by an anesthesia residency at the University of California Medical Center in San Francisco. He joined the NIH Clinical Center's Critical Care Medicine Department in 1981 and became chief of the Anesthesia Section a year later.
- Natanson C, Hoffman WD, Suffredini AF, Eichacker PQ, Danner RL. Selected treatment strategies for septic shock based on proposed mechanisms of pathogenesis. Ann Intern Med. 1994;120(9):771-83.
- Sevransky JE, Shaked G, Novogrodsky A, Levitzki A, Gazit A, Hoffman A, Elin RJ, Quezado ZM, Freeman BD, Eichacker PQ, Danner RL, Banks SM, Bacher J, Thomas ML 3rd, Natanson C. Tyrphostin AG 556 improves survival and reduces multiorgan failure in canine Escherichia coli peritonitis. J Clin Invest. 1997;99(8):1966-73.
- Zeni F, Freeman B, Natanson C. Anti-inflammatory therapies to treat sepsis and septic shock: a reassessment. Crit Care Med. 1997;25(7):1095-100.
- Freeman BD, Danner RL, Banks SM, Natanson C. Safeguarding patients in clinical trials with high mortality rates. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;164(2):190-2.
- Eichacker PQ, Gerstenberger EP, Banks SM, Cui X, Natanson C. Meta-analysis of acute lung injury and acute respiratory distress syndrome trials testing low tidal volumes. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2002;166(11):1510-4.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
This page was last updated on Friday, May 28, 2021