Brandon Harvey, Ph.D.
Integrative Neuroscience Branch, Molecular Mechanisms of Cellular Stress and Inflammation
Dr. Harvey received his Ph.D. in Neurobiology and Anatomy from the University of Rochester where he began his interest in the cellular mechanisms of neuronal dysfunction. He worked on gene delivery and gene therapy in models of central nervous system diseases. He joined NIDA in 2002 where he brought methods for viral vector production to the NIDA IRP. Dr. Harvey’s research uses viral vectors to study the molecular and cellular processes associated with substance abuse using rodent models of drug toxicity and neurodegeneration. His laboratory recently discovered a cellular phenomenon termed “exodosis” which occurs when resident proteins within a cell’s endoplasmic reticulum are secreted in response to calcium depletion. His research program studies pathophysiological consequences of exodosis and ER stress triggered by substances of abuse and other neurological diseases. Through a collaboration with the National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences, a high throughput screen has identified novel and FDA-approved drugs capable of alleviating ER stress and exodosis to potentially treat human diseases. Lastly, Dr. Harvey’s group is developing blood-based biomarkers to monitor exodosis and ER stress in human disease.
- Trychta KA, Bäck S, Henderson MJ, Harvey BK. KDEL Receptors Are Differentially Regulated to Maintain the ER Proteome under Calcium Deficiency. Cell Rep. 2018;25(7):1829-1840.e6.
- Henderson MJ, Trychta KA, Yang SM, Bäck S, Yasgar A, Wires ES, Danchik C, Yan X, Yano H, Shi L, Wu KJ, Wang AQ, Tao D, Zahoránszky-Kőhalmi G, Hu X, Xu X, Maloney D, Zakharov AV, Rai G, Urano F, Airavaara M, Gavrilova O, Jadhav A, Wang Y, Simeonov A, Harvey BK. A target-agnostic screen identifies approved drugs to stabilize the endoplasmic reticulum-resident proteome. Cell Rep. 2021;35(4):109040.
- Bäck S, Necarsulmer J, Whitaker LR, Coke LM, Koivula P, Heathward EJ, Fortuno LV, Zhang Y, Yeh CG, Baldwin HA, Spencer MD, Mejias-Aponte CA, Pickel J, Hoffman AF, Spivak CE, Lupica CR, Underhill SM, Amara SG, Domanskyi A, Anttila JE, Airavaara M, Hope BT, Hamra FK, Richie CT, Harvey BK. Neuron-Specific Genome Modification in the Adult Rat Brain Using CRISPR-Cas9 Transgenic Rats. Neuron. 2019;102(1):105-119.e8.
- Wires ES, Trychta KA, Bäck S, Sulima A, Rice KC, Harvey BK. High fat diet disrupts endoplasmic reticulum calcium homeostasis in the rat liver. J Hepatol. 2017;67(5):1009-1017.
- Trychta KA, Heathward EJ, Sulima A, Bäck S, Farokhnia M, Richie CT, Leggio L, Rice KC, Harvey BK. Extracellular esterase activity as an indicator of endoplasmic reticulum calcium depletion. Biomarkers. 2018;23(8):756-765.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
This page was last updated on Wednesday, August 16, 2023