Andrew Holmes, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Behavioral and Genomic Neuroscience
The mission of the Laboratory of Behavioral and Genomic Neuroscience is to contribute to a deeper understanding of the causes of alcoholism and comorbid neuropsychiatric conditions, notably stressor, trauma and anxiety disorders. Our goal is to elucidate the neural basis of these devastating diseases and help identify new directions for their prevention and effective treatment. To this end, we integrate behavioral measures with state-of-the-art methods for monitoring and manipulating neural functions in order to examine how environmental insults shape brain circuits to modify behavior.
Andrew Holmes was trained in the UK, where received his Bachelor’s (Hons) degree in Psychology and his Doctorate in Behavioral Pharmacology. He received postdoctoral training in behavioral neuroscience and behavioral genetics from Dr. Jacki Crawley at the NIMH. He is currently Chief of the Laboratory of Behavioral and Genomic Neuroscience, where he studies brain regulation of emotion and cognition.
- Gunduz-Cinar O, Castillo LI, Xia M, Van Leer E, Brockway ET, Pollack GA, Yasmin F, Bukalo O, Limoges A, Oreizi-Esfahani S, Kondev V, Báldi R, Dong A, Harvey-White J, Cinar R, Kunos G, Li Y, Zweifel LS, Patel S, Holmes A. A cortico-amygdala neural substrate for endocannabinoid modulation of fear extinction. Neuron. 2023;111(19):3053-3067.e10.
- Hagihara KM, Bukalo O, Zeller M, Aksoy-Aksel A, Karalis N, Limoges A, Rigg T, Campbell T, Mendez A, Weinholtz C, Mahn M, Zweifel LS, Palmiter RD, Ehrlich I, Lüthi A, Holmes A. Intercalated amygdala clusters orchestrate a switch in fear state. Nature. 2021;594(7863):403-407.
- Halladay LR, Kocharian A, Piantadosi PT, Authement ME, Lieberman AG, Spitz NA, Coden K, Glover LR, Costa VD, Alvarez VA, Holmes A. Prefrontal Regulation of Punished Ethanol Self-administration. Biol Psychiatry. 2020;87(11):967-978.
- Sengupta A, Holmes A. A Discrete Dorsal Raphe to Basal Amygdala 5-HT Circuit Calibrates Aversive Memory. Neuron. 2019;103(3):489-505.e7.
- Bukalo O, Pinard CR, Silverstein S, Brehm C, Hartley ND, Whittle N, Colacicco G, Busch E, Patel S, Singewald N, Holmes A. Prefrontal inputs to the amygdala instruct fear extinction memory formation. Sci Adv. 2015;1(6).
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Genetics and Genomics
Social and Behavioral Sciences
This page was last updated on Monday, October 23, 2023