Alan P. Koretsky, Ph.D.
Laboratory of Functional and Molecular Imaging
The Functional and Molecular Imaging Section has two major research interests. One is to develop novel functional and molecular imaging techniques to study brain structure and function. Emphasis is on MRI but some optical imaging is performed as well. Current areas of interest are to extend spatial resolution and understand the relation of functional MRI to neuronal architecture. New imaging tools are being developed to image calcium influx and gene expression non-invasively in the mouse brain.
The second major research area is cellular energetics. In particular, we are interested in the role of the enzyme creatine kinase and regulation of mitochondrial metabolism. This work relies on combining non-invasive imaging tools and molecular genetics in the mouse to study mitochondrial function in vivo. Current areas of interest are to determine the role of creatine kinase in cell growth and death. We are also interested in characterizing changes in the mitochondrial proteome during changes in mitochondrial metabolism using novel two-dimensional gel electrophoresis techniques.
- Pothayee N, Maric D, Sharer K, Tao-Cheng JH, Calac A, Bouraoud N, Pickel J, Dodd S, Koretsky A. Neural precursor cells form integrated brain-like tissue when implanted into rat cerebrospinal fluid. Commun Biol. 2018;1:114.
- Petrus E, Dembling S, Usdin T, Isaac JTR, Koretsky AP. Circuit-Specific Plasticity of Callosal Inputs Underlies Cortical Takeover. J Neurosci. 2020;40(40):7714-7723.
- Barbic M, Dodd SJ, ElBidweihy H, Dilley NR, Marcheschi B, Huston AL, Morris HD, Koretsky AP. Multifield and inverse-contrast switching of magnetocaloric high contrast ratio MRI labels. Magn Reson Med. 2021;85(1):506-517.
- Ma Z, Reich DS, Dembling S, Duyn JH, Koretsky AP. Outlier detection in multimodal MRI identifies rare individual phenotypes among more than 15,000 brains. Hum Brain Mapp. 2022;43(5):1766-1782.
- Liu L, Dodd S, Hunt RD, Pothayee N, Atanasijevic T, Bouraoud N, Maric D, Moseman EA, Gossa S, McGavern DB, Koretsky AP. Early detection of cerebrovascular pathology and protective antiviral immunity by MRI. Elife. 2022;11.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics
View additional Principal Investigators in Biomedical Engineering and Biophysics
This page was last updated on Friday, August 26, 2022