Marc Gregory Ghany, M.D., M.H.Sc.
Clinical Hepatology Research Section, Liver Diseases Branch
The purpose of my research is to improve the care and treatment outcomes of patients with chronic viral hepatitis.
My research is clinical and translational in nature. It focuses on three themes: (1) natural history, (2) treatment, and (3) clinical virology studies. Specifically, the aims of my research are to: (1) define the host, viral, and environmental factors that determine the natural history and outcome of HBV and HCV infection; (2) develop and evaluate novel, safer, and more effective therapies for chronic viral hepatitis B and C; and (3) conduct clinical virology studies.
Applying our Research
My research can help improve the care and treatment outcomes of patients with chronic viral hepatitis.
Need for Further Study
Areas in this field that require further research include prospective natural history studies and studies to develop safer and more effective therapies.
- Staff Clinician, LDB, NIDDK, NIH, 2000-present
- Medical Staff Fellow, LDB, NIDDK, NIH, 1996-2000
- Clinical Instructor, Department of Medicine, Section of Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Tulane University, 1995-1996
- Fellow, Tulane University, 1992-1995
- M.H.Sc., Duke University, 2010-2010
- M.D., Royal College of Surgeons, Ireland, 1989-1989
- Di Bisceglie AM, Shiffman ML, Everson GT, Lindsay KL, Everhart JE, Wright EC, Lee WM, Lok AS, Bonkovsky HL, Morgan TR, Ghany MG, Morishima C, Snow KK, Dienstag JL, HALT-C Trial Investigators.. Prolonged therapy of advanced chronic hepatitis C with low-dose peginterferon. N Engl J Med. 2008;359(23):2429-41.
- Ghany MG, Lok AS, Everhart JE, Everson GT, Lee WM, Curto TM, Wright EC, Stoddard AM, Sterling RK, Di Bisceglie AM, Bonkovsky HL, Morishima C, Morgan TR, Dienstag JL, HALT-C Trial Group.. Predicting clinical and histologic outcomes based on standard laboratory tests in advanced chronic hepatitis C. Gastroenterology. 2010;138(1):136-46.
- Ghany MG, King WC, Lisker-Melman M, Lok ASF, Terrault N, Janssen HLA, Khalili M, Chung RT, Lee WM, Lau DTY, Cloherty GA, Sterling RK. Comparison of HBV RNA and Hepatitis B Core Related Antigen With Conventional HBV Markers Among Untreated Adults With Chronic Hepatitis B in North America. Hepatology. 2021;74(5):2395-2409.
- Alao H, Cam M, Keembiyehetty C, Zhang F, Serti E, Suarez D, Park H, Fourie NH, Wright EC, Henderson WA, Li Q, Liang TJ, Rehermann B, Ghany MG. Baseline Intrahepatic and Peripheral Innate Immunity are Associated with Hepatitis C Virus Clearance During Direct-Acting Antiviral Therapy. Hepatology. 2018;68(6):2078-2088.
- Alawad AS, Auh S, Suarez D, Ghany MG. Durability of Spontaneous and Treatment-Related Loss of Hepatitis B s Antigen. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020;18(3):700-709.e3.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
This page was last updated on Wednesday, August 17, 2022