Dr. Sanford Dawsey focuses his research on esophageal and gastric cancers—prevention and control, etiologic studies, especially in high-risk populations, and development of clinically useful techniques for early detection and treatment.
- Prevention and control of esophageal and gastric cancers
- Etiologic studies of esophageal and gastric cancers, especially in high-risk populations
- Developing clinically useful techniques for the early detection and treatment of esophageal and gastric cancers
- Member of the DCEG Upper Gastrointestinal Cancers Research Group
- Member of the African Esophageal Cancer Consortium (AfrECC)
Dr. Dawsey received his M.D. degree from Stanford Medical School in 1976, completed his residency in pathology at the University of Colorado in 1981, and completed a fellowship in cytology at the University of California, Los Angeles, in 1987. He served as a staff pathologist at the McCormick Hospital in Chiang Mai, Thailand from 1982 to 1984 and at Saint Joseph Hospital in Denver, Colorado from 1984 to 1986. Dr. Dawsey joined NCI in 1987 and received tenure in 1995. He joined DCEG in 2005, and serves as a senior investigator in the Metabolic Epidemiology Branch. In 2011, Dr. Dawsey received the NIH Ruth L. Kirschstein Mentoring Award for "exemplary performance while demonstrating significant leadership, skill, and ability in serving as a mentor." He received the 2018 DCEG Exemplary Service Award in honor of his outstanding research on esophageal and gastric cancer.
- Taylor PR, Abnet CC, Dawsey SM. Squamous dysplasia--the precursor lesion for esophageal squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev. 2013;22(4):540-52.
- Dawsey SM, Fleischer DE, Wang GQ, Zhou B, Kidwell JA, Lu N, Lewin KJ, Roth MJ, Tio TL, Taylor PR. Mucosal iodine staining improves endoscopic visualization of squamous dysplasia and squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus in Linxian, China. Cancer. 1998;83(2):220-31.
- Limburg PJ, Wei W, Ahnen DJ, Qiao Y, Hawk ET, Wang G, Giffen CA, Wang G, Roth MJ, Lu N, Korn EL, Ma Y, Caldwell KL, Dong Z, Taylor PR, Dawsey SM. Randomized, placebo-controlled, esophageal squamous cell cancer chemoprevention trial of selenomethionine and celecoxib. Gastroenterology. 2005;129(3):863-73.
- Mwachiro MM, Pritchett N, Calafat AM, Parker RK, Lando JO, Murphy G, Chepkwony R, Burgert SL, Abnet CC, Topazian MD, White RE, Dawsey SM, Etemadi A. Indoor wood combustion, carcinogenic exposure and esophageal cancer in southwest Kenya. Environ Int. 2021;152:106485.
- Islami F, Pourshams A, Nasrollahzadeh D, Kamangar F, Fahimi S, Shakeri R, Abedi-Ardekani B, Merat S, Vahedi H, Semnani S, Abnet CC, Brennan P, Møller H, Saidi F, Dawsey SM, Malekzadeh R, Boffetta P. Tea drinking habits and oesophageal cancer in a high risk area in northern Iran: population based case-control study. BMJ. 2009;338:b929.
Related Scientific Focus Areas
This page was last updated on Wednesday, January 19, 2022