Faculty-Level Scientific Careers
The story is told that once someone comes to work at the NIH, they never leave. Fortunately, that’s not completely true, since many of our trainees and investigators take (and share) the knowledge gained during their time in the IRP to other research institutes, advancing biomedical research worldwide. But our researchers do put down deep roots.
Within our academic environment, your job would be to do research, with no obligation to write grants, and play a major role in training and mentoring the next generation of biomedical scientists. Each year we recruit for more than 30 tenured and tenure-track positions. They lead independent research laboratories within our Institutes and Centers in Bethesda, Maryland, and on campuses throughout the country.
The following is a list of current opportunities for faculty-level positions. Note that some positions might be under review but still accepting applications.
- Tenure-Track Clinical Investigator (liver), NIDDK (review began March 23)
- Tenure-Eligible Senior Scientist (pharmacology), NIDA (review began April 6)
- Senior Scientist, Immunology Core Laboratory, VRC-NIAID (closes May 29)
- Senior Clinical Investigator, Laboratory of Allergic Diseases, NIAID (closes June 29)
- Lasker Clinical Research Scholars, Multiple openings (full application due August 27)
Branch Chief Positions
Chief, RNA Biology Laboratory, NCI-Frederick (review begins June 15)
Scientific Director, Division of Preclinical Innovation, NCATS (review began March 16)
Deputy Director, NCI Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics (review began March 20)
Learn more about the IRP.